Master in Public Health (MPH)
The Masters program in Public Health is a two-year program spanning four semesters. The MPH program is being offered as a 44-credit program. The core curriculum will be covered in the first three semesters (35 credits). In the fourth semester, the student will have an Integrated Practicum in the field he/she selects to collect and analyze the data in preparation of a thesis. On successful completion of the courses and thesis the student will be awarded the MPH degree.
The graduate program in Public Health aims at providing training to all health professionals who wish to pursue a career in Public Health and to those who are already working in this area to further improve their career opportunities. The course is designed to provide opportunities to gain advanced and up-to-date knowledge and skills that will equip the graduates not only for managerial and leadership positions in the field of Public Health but also for pursuing academic careers in institutes of higher education and research centers.
The GMU graduate program in Public Health shall strive to make an impact on the practice of public health in the region through the preparation of competent professionals who are capable of leadership in the public health services, education and research, dedicated to enhance health status and quality of life in local, regional, and global communities.
The GMU graduate program in Public Health shall:
Provide instruction in the specialized knowledge and competencies in the five areas basic to public health (social and behavior sciences, biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health science, and public health management) to practice the ten essential public health services.
Provide an opportunity to integrate the advances of research and evidence based practices, and contribute to scientific knowledge through independent and collaborative research projects and publications.
Provide an opportunity to develop professional skills required to analyze the regional needs, programs and policies in public health services, education and research, and to contribute in policy making and program planning.
Collaborate with appropriate community professionals and organizations to provide, enhance or support service activities to meet the health needs of the different sections of the community.
The Master in Public Health program shall strive to make an impact on the practice of public health in the region through the preparation of competent professionals who are capable of leadership in the public health services, education and research, dedicated to enhance health status and quality oflife inlocal, regional, and global communities.
The vision of the Master Public Health Program is to prevent diseases, promote health, and protect the well-being of the community through education, research and public health practices
General Admission Requirements
- All applicants shall meet all criteria for admission into respective programs offered by the University as laid down in the Standards for Licensure and Accreditation published by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA), Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research (MOHE&SR), UAE.
- All eligible applicants shall be selected on the basis of preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, motivation and integrity.
- All applicants shall first be screened for eligibility for the program applied for before being interviewed by the Program Director or Department Chair.
- The applicant shall be a graduate of an accredited school in the UAE or a graduate of an IMED-listed medical school outside the UAE or a graduate of an Allied Health Sciences Program as applicable.
- The Admission Committee shall interview the individuals for their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, motivation and integrity.
- No applicant shall be discriminated on the basis of sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin or disability status.
- The University shall develop and set additional admission requirements for each program with input from respective program faculty members.
Full Admission Requirements
- All applicants for Master’s programs offered by the University shall have a recognized Baccalaureate degree earned in a discipline appropriate for the prospective graduate degree with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or its established equivalent.
- All applicants must have proficiency in spoken and written English. The applicant must have passed English Language Proficiency test such as TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Academic. A minimum score of 550 TOEFL (213 CBT, 79 iBT), 6.0 IELTS Academic, PTE A (50-57) or any other standardized, internationally recognized test approved by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA), Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research (MOHE&SR), UAE with the following exceptions:
- Native speaker of English who has completed his / her undergraduate education in an English-medium institution and in a country where English is the official language.
- Applicant with an undergraduate qualification from an English-medium institution who can provide evidence of acquiring a minimum TOEFL score of 500 on the Paper-Based test, or its equivalent on another standardized test approved by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA), Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research (MOHE&SR), UAE at the time of admission to his / her undergraduate program.
The program shall prepare graduates for professional, administrative and managerial positions in government and private enterprises in the discipline of:
- Preventive services such as maternal and child health services, health education, disease control, population and community based programs
- Primary health care services
- Community and family health services
- Health management
In addition, the MPH program shall prepare the graduates for pursuing further education leading to doctoral degrees that shall enable them to take up faculty positions in academic institutions. Graduates shall be able to work as scientists and investigators in:
- Research based and applied community programs
- International and local public health and community health organizations
- Health organizations at the global level
- Non-governmental organization pursuing community based projects
The program shall also provide current employees with opportunities for advancement and promotions into managerial positions after completion graduation.
Public health graduates are also employed in the private sector for working in randomized control trials for pharmaceutical companies or for health insurance companies.
The following are some career positions open to public health professionals:
- Public Health Management Analyst
- Director of Programs and Services
- Health Communications Specialist
- Research Scientist
- Environmental Health Intelligence Analyst
- Manager, Breastfeeding Initiatives
- Teaching Faculty
|Introduction to Public Health|
|Epidemiology & Demography|
|Epidemiology of Communicable & Non Communicable Disease|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences|
|Health Promotion Practice|
|Research Methods and Ethics|
|Introduction to Public Health Program Management|