Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D)
Despite the tremendous progress achieved in the field of Pharmacy today we are facing new challenges that need more coordination and planning between the different decision makers at the Ministry of Health at the national level from one side and the academic institutions offering pharmaceutical programs from the other side, to determine the level of education needed in the UAE region and to define the profile of the new graduates as per the needs of the community, knowing that drug consumption is quite high if this issue must charge up the different health authorities and educational institutions to define a strategy with precise objectives and outcomes to deal with this decisive challenge, promoting awareness among the populations at different levels i.e from schools to universities, ensuring that the graduates must reflect the needs of the community, emphasizing on preventive measures and providing qualitative services. To achieve these objectives, the concerned health authorities and universities must join efforts to provide facilities for clinical training and internship. Moreover, they may depend on the expertise and experience (if needed), of the various international health institutions and support from international institutions and relevant companies which may contribute to promote the benefits of the clinical pharmacist education among the new graduates through school health programs.
The College of Pharmacy at the Gulf Medical University, aims to lead this initiative, through the expertise of its faculty and staff, as defined in the mission and objectives and outcomes of the PharmD Program.The College of Pharmacy will be providing the students with the knowledge and skills to successfully face these challenges in a systematic academic manner that shall evolve continuously to meet these developments. The programs offered are dynamic and flexible to address the new challenges. Basic and Medical courses are integrated and clinically oriented. The learning methods will be dynamic and diversified; an innovative approach which combines the conventional learning methods to the clinical simulations which allow the students to acquire the clinical skills in a clinic like environment. The physical clinical training program will enhance the clinical skills of the students during their clinical training period, under qualified and dedicated clinical faculty and staff.
Clinical simulations in various subjects allow the students to enhance their skills and monitor their performance through self-assessments using I.T. learning means. Students are exposed from the early stage to the clinical environment in order to achieve a better understanding of the relations of the human body to the clinical practice.
The pharmacy program will educate students to become competent pharmacists with fundamental knowledge in biomedical and behavioral sciences. The graduates will be dedicated to serve the communities and will carry out their pharmaceutical duties with the highest level of ethical and moral standards. The curriculum will also focus and emphasize on the importance of research and encourage student participation in research activities.
- The applicant must have completed a minimum of 12 years of school education.
- All applicants must complete 17 years of age on or before the 31st of December in the year of admission.
- The applicant must have proficiency in spoken and written English. The applicant must have passed the English language proficiency test. A minimum score of 500 TOEFL (CBT 180, iBT 64), IELTS Academic 5.0, PTE A (36-44), Cambridge ESOL (41) or any other standardized internationally recognized test approved by the Commission for Academic Accreditation (CAA), Ministry of Education – Higher Education Affairs, UAE.
- The applicants from UAE educational system must have secured an overall average of 80% or above marks as per UAE Secondary School Education Standards and should have scored an aggregate score of 70% or above in Biology, Chemistry, Physics / Mathematics in the 12th Grade.
- Applicants from non-UAE educational systems must have secured a minimum aggregate score equivalent to UAE 80% or above and minimum marks in the Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) as listed below:
Country Education System Minimum Grade requirements as per UAE Grade Equivalence for Pharm D program UAE UAE Student should secure an overall minimum score of 80% (B Grade)and above in the 12th Grade.
·Completed all 3 Science subjects ( Biology, Chemistry, Physics in 10th, 11th, 12th Grades)
· An aggregate score of 70% or above in Biology, Chemistry, Physics / Mathematics in the 12th Grade.
India Indian State Board Student should secure an overall minimum score of 65% (B Grade)and above in the 12th Grade.
· An aggregate score of 55% or above in Biology, Chemistry, Physics / Mathematics in the 12th Grade.
Indian Central Board/ICSE
Student should secure an overall minimum score of 60% (B Grade)and above in the 12th Grade.
· An aggregate score of 50% or above in Biology, Chemistry, Physics / Mathematics in the 12th Grade.
Student should secure an overall minimum score of 60% (A Grade)and above in the 12th Grade.
· An aggregate score of50%or above in Biology, Chemistry, Physics / Mathematics in the 12th Grade.
UK IGCSE/GCE Studied in all 3 Science subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Physics in O Level with a Minimum of:
· 2 Cs in any of the two Science subjects in AS / A Level (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics)
Student should secure an overall minimum 25 points,
·Must have at least 2 Science subject (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics)
USA American Diploma Student should secure an overall minimum score of 80% (B Grade)and above.
·Minimum of SAT II score of at least 550 in Molecular Biology
Applicants from any other non-UAE educational systems not listed above must have secured a minimum aggregate score equivalent to UAE 80% or above as per International Grade Conversion Table published by WES.
- All applicants shall be evaluated for cognitive and non-cognitive traits demonstrating their aptitude for the chosen area of study by the Admissions Committee which includes Multiple Mini Interviews (MMIs) and personal interview. Admission is finalized on competitive basis.
Pharm D is a five-and-a-half years program, which includes one year of Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience ( APPE ).
The program consists of 12 semesters.
- The first two years of the curriculum are designed to educate students in biomedical sciences, behavioral sciences courses.
- During the third, fourth and fifth years, students will concentrate on advanced pharmaceutical studies clinical sciences and management under the strict supervision of qualified faculty.
- The compulsory Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience ( APPE ) year spans from the 2nd Semester of the 5th year to the 1st Semester of the 6th Year inclusive of a summer semester of the fifth year.
- During the clerkship students will be exposed to the practice of pharmacy in the different medical specialties as part of their clinical experience as they go through the different rotations.