Diploma in Medical Assistant – Clinical
|COURSE CODE & TITLE||MAC43 Medical Assistant – Clinical|
|COURSE DURATION||180 hours|
|MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION||English|
|PREREQUISITES (General)||Certificate of Completion of High School – with science subjects / 3 years experience in the medical field|
|PREREQUISITES (Additional)||TOEFL score of 400|
|AWARD||18 CE units|
The Medical Assistant-Clinical program is 10 months in length (Phase I & II). During this course, initially, the students will receive basic instruction in skills required in any health care setting. The students will receive an
understanding of the health industry and its various career paths, both traditional and nontraditional. Competency-based areas include medical law and ethics, communications, medical terminology, medical math, body system review and pathology of disease, human growth and development including life continuum. Instruction and practice will be provided in basic skills used in most health care settings, including specific skills such as the taking of vital signs, basic patient intake skills, documentation skills, computer input and retrieval skills, understanding of quality control and quality assurance, dermal puncture and venipuncture, universal precautions, laboratory safety, as well as others.
The course in phase II provides the basic skills necessary for employment in a physician’s office or medical clinic. The clinical component provides instruction in anatomy and physiology, patient preparation, laboratory and diagnostic procedures, pharmacology and assisting the physician with minor surgical procedures. Students use medical terminology and abbreviations common to the occupation and appropriate written, verbal, and nonverbal communication skills with colleagues, patients, patient’s families, and physicians.
COURSE OUTCOMES: At the end of this course the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate the role and responsibilities of the Medical Assistant in relation to administrative and clinical duties.
- Describe the legal, ethical, and confidentiality responsibilities of a medical assistant.
- Use appropriate written, verbal, and non-verbal communication skills with colleagues, patients, patient’s families, and physicians.
- Discuss the importance of following policy and procedures pertaining to the safe use of equipment, body mechanics, handling hazardous waste materials, standard precautions, and safeguarding prescription pads, and patient’s records.
- Discuss the specific procedures as outlined in Standard Precautions for use of personal protective devices and personal protective equipment.
- Identify and describe the basic structure, function, and relationships among the body systems.
- Demonstrate the process for obtaining accurate vital signs and explain the importance of obtaining, recording, and maintaining accurate patient medical history.
- Demonstrate the ability to position and prepare the patient for examination or medical procedures.
- Demonstrate proper collection, labeling, documentation, storage, and transportation of patient specimens.
- Explain the directives related to diagnostic procedures, such as radiological, laboratory, and cardiology.
- Demonstrate the procedure for assisting with minor surgery.
- Discuss the proper method for managing emergency situations at a healthcare facility.
- Demonstrate the skills to seek, apply for and maintain employment in a hospital or health care facility.
|WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE COURSE|
The course provides formal training for those already employed in hospitals, medical centers as helpers to medical technicians working in the laboratory hospital or a health care facility, or a physician’s office in both the outpatient clinics and inpatient settings; and those wishing to pursue a career in the health sector that provides health care services.
|ASSESSMENT: Pretest / Post-test|
|For academic advising and planning of their study schedule applicants are requested to contact: The CCECO Coordinator, Office of the Assistant Director, Center for Continuing Education & Community Outreach, Gulf Medical University, Al Jurf, Ajman, UAE.|
Continuing Education units