|COURSE CODE & TITLE||MIB 17 Medical Insurance Billing|
|COURSE DURATION||90 hours|
|MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION||English|
|PREREQUISITES (General)||Certificate of Completion of High School|
|PREREQUISITES (Additional)||Medical Terminology|
|AWARD||9 CE UNITS|
Students receive instruction in medical office insurance billing procedures, including patient financial records, computerized billing, CPT-4 and ICD-9 coding, collection procedures, identifying and billing various insurance plans (group, PPO, HMO, IPA, federal, state and workers' compensation)
COURSE OUTCOMES: At the end of this course participant should be able to
- Identify the role and responsibilities of the Medical Insurance Billing professional.
- Use correct insurance terminology and demonstrate positive verbal communication and active listening skills, including obtaining clarification of information and directions.
- Identify sections and guidelines in the CPT Coding book.
- Identify sections and guidelines of the ICD - 9 Coding book.
- Demonstrate completion of a claim form using proper codes for various insurance types.
- Differentiate between the various types of insurance, including private, Medicare, Worker's Compensation, HMO, group insurance plans, , and disability, and cite the codes specific to each type of insurance.
- Describe the various formats and the information listed in the Explanation of Benefits.
- Describe the process for billing a secondary insurance.
- Demonstrate the correct procedures for entering data into a medical software program, creating reports and claim forms, without breaching patient confidentiality.
- Describe career opportunities for medical insurance billing professionals and demonstrate job search and retention skills.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE COURSE
This course is designed to prepare students for employment in a medical insurance billing or other medical-clerical position in a doctor's office or clinic, or to start their own company-based billing service. For those students wishing to further their education in the medical field, this program provides a firm foundation.
|ASSESSMENT: Pretest / Post-test|
For academic advising and planning of their study schedule applicants are requested to contact: The Academic Coordinator, Office of the Assistant Director, Center for Continuing Education & Community Outreach, Gulf Medical University, Al Jurf, Ajman, UAE.
Continuing Education Units
PHONE: 06 743 1333 Ext: 401/384